Saturday, February 19, 2011

Captain Crunch Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Marshmallow Frosting

I truly love all things baking. It's the smells, tastes and not-so-guilty pleasure derived from freshly prepared goodies that gets me every time. I've always baked sweet treats and shared the recipes (and treats) with family and friends, however today I've decided that my previous methods of sharing through Facebook and email are, well, previous. I've been following various cooking and baking blogs for years, but it took me until now to join the masses and start one myself. Today marks the day I cross an item off my bucket list and introduce to you Z Sweets, a compilation of my favorite baking recipes and adventures.


Now to the good stuff. I bring you Captain Crunch cupcakes topped with peanut butter marshmallow frosting. First off, thank you to the genius that thought to combine my two favorite meals, dessert (of course it's a meal) and breakfast. Rice Krispies treats will always be a classic but it's time for something new. Move over Snap, Crackle and Pop, the Captain's stepping out of the box (pun intended) and into the dessert scene. I encourage you all to try these amazingly simple and delicious cupcakes. They were tested at our Superbowl party and passed with flying colors. Enjoy!






Ingredients:
1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup buttermilk
4 large eggs
1/3 cup canola oil
4 cups Captain Crunch cereal, plus more for garnish


Preheat oven to 350. Line 24 muffin tins with baking cups and set aside.


Using a rolling pin and ziploc bag, crush the cereal to a cornmeal consistency. In a large bowl, combine and mix the five ingredients listed above.


Fill liners 2/3 full and bake for 12-15 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Let cool completely on cooling racks.






Frosting:
2 sticks butter, at room temperature
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup milk
4 cups powdered sugar
7 oz. jar marshmallow fluff


In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter, peanut butter, milk and vanilla on low to medium speed until completely blended. Slowly add powdered sugar until blended.


Frost cupcakes generously and garnish with crushed cereal. To achieve the look in the picture above, I used a piping bag and an Ateco extra wide pastry tip. I am usually not a huge frosting girl, but this frosting is so light and fluffy you really can't go wrong!


This recipe was found on Confessions of a Cookbook Queen.



No comments:

Post a Comment